Pontivy Castle in Brittany by EuroTourData
Pontivy Castle is the restored urban castle and quadrangular castle, built around 1479 for Lord Jean II de Rohan on the site of an old castle destroyed during the War of the Breton Succession. In 1488, the castle was besieged by the troops of the Prince of Orange during the French–Breton War. in 1589, during the French Wars of Religion, the Catholic troops took the castle and occupied it for 9 years.
The article Le Château des Rohan of Pontivy Commune website.
Description of Pontivy Castle
The castle was built in the plan of an irregular quadrangle around 90 meters by 75 meters. The castle is surrounded by a defensive wall with battlements, 20 meters high with four round corner towers. The maximum defensive wall thickness is over 5 meters. The stationary bridge leads to the gate. On the western and northern sides of the courtyard, two main buildings (on French Corps de logis) have been preserved.