Landeck Castle in Rhineland-Palatinate by EuroTourData
Landeck Castle is the restored ruins of the hill castle, built around 1177 the Imperial Counts of Leiningen, in order to protect the Klingenmünster Abbey and the surrounding estates.
Landeck Castle history
The ruins of Landeck Castle are among the oldest fortified castle in Rhineland-Palatinate. Already in the 9th or 10th century, there was the Heidenschuh Fortress, the medieval refuge fort. Landeck Castle was expanded at the end of the 15th century, but rebellious peasants captured the castle during the Palatinate Peasants' War in 1525 and burned it down. However, the castle was rebuilt after a short period of time. Probably in 1680, during the Nine Years' War, the castle was destroyed by French troops.
The castle is currently owned by the Rhineland-Palatinate General Directorate for Cultural Heritage. The operator of the castle is Landeck Verein Klingenmünster e.V. created in 1881.
Articles Burg Landeck (Pfalz) of German Wikipedia and Burgruine Landeck of Generaldirektion Kulturelles Erbe Rheinland-Pfalz.