Nürburg Castle in Rhineland-Palatinate by EuroTourData
Nürburg Castle is the restored ruins of the hilltop castle, built around 1166 for the count of Are and as the refuge castle for nearby residents.
Nürburg Castle history
Between 1340 and 1369 an inner bailey and a zwinger were built in the castle. In the 15th century, a third ring of defensive walls was built. Already in the 16th century, the castle was in very poor condition, so restoration was carried out. During the Thirty Years' War in 1633, the castle was captured, looted and damaged by Swedish troops. During the Nine Years' War in 1689, the castle was completely destroyed by French troops. The castle was abandoned and used as a quarry. In 1818, Prussia restored the keep because a triangulation station was to be installed there.
The castle is owned by the Rhineland-Palatinate General Directorate for Cultural Heritage (in German Generaldirektion Kulturelles Erbe Rheinland-Pfalz). The castle is operated by the Nürburger Kurier und Shuttle Service.
The article Nürburg (Burg) of German Wikipedia.