Stolpen Castle in Saxony
Stolpen Castle is the restored hill castle, built around 1200 as the fortified residence for nobles Stulpen to guard their fief.
Stolpen Castle history
Around 1320 the castle became the administrative center of the newly formed Stolpen district. At the beginning of the 13th century, the bishops of Meissen moved one of their main residences to the castle and expanded the fortifications of the castle. During the Hussite Wars, the castle was first besieged by the Hussites in 1429. The siege lasted eight weeks and was ultimately unsuccessful. During the Thirty Years' War, the castle was besieged by imperial troops in 1632 but successfully defended. Most of the castle was destroyed by fire on August 1, 1632. After a quick restoration of the castle, another Swedish siege was repulsed in 1639. In 1764 the castle was abandoned. In 1992, the Free State of Saxony became the owner of the castle. The castle contains a museum of Countess Cosel and the history of the castle.
The article Burg Stolpen of German Wikipedia.