Windeck Castle of Baden-Württemberg by EuroTourData
Windeck Castle is the restored ruins of the hill castle built around 1130 to protect the possessions of Lorsch Abbey. Info based on the article Burg Windeck of German Wikipedia.
Windeck Castle of Baden-Württemberg info
Windeck Castle history
The castle became a bone of contention between the Archbishop of Mainz and the prince-electors of the Palatinate. In the 13th and 14th centuries and between 1450 and 1560 the castle was enlarged to its present size. After 1344 there was a significant expansion of the castle. The castle was not a fiefdom of a noble family but only secured and managed by appointed wardens. The castle survived the turmoil of the Thirty Years' War tolerably but had to be repaired in 1663.
In 1674, the castle was sacked and destroyed by French troops under the command of General Henri de Turenne. French troops made the castle useless as a defensive structure. The ruins served as a quarry for the inhabitants of Weinheim to reconstruct their homes. The town of Weinheim has owned the castle since 1978 and has significantly restored and strengthened the castle ruins.
|Tourist Audience||Cultural heritage tourism|
|German name||Burg Windeck|
|Video||Windeck Castle on YouTube|
|Street address||Alter Burgweg 2|
|Google Map||Windeck Castle|
|Directions to||Windeck Castle|
|Waze Map||Windeck Castle|
|Knowledge Panel||Windeck Castle|
Dataset to Windeck Castle of Baden-Württemberg
Tabular dataset and ATOM feed to Windeck Castle of Baden-Württemberg.
ETD ID: wndbdw-grm.
Creator: Nikolaj Antonov - ORCID.
Published: - Central European Time (UTC+01:00).
Publisher: NikAnt Webkonsult AB