Bridgehead of Jülich by EuroTourData
Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress was built by the French army in 1808 and is the only surviving example of the technology of building fortresses of the French Empire. Info is based on the article Brückenkopf Jülich of German Wikipedia.
Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress info
History of Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress
After the annexation of Jülich to the French Empire in 1794, the French army paid great attention to the protection of the river Ruhr crossing. To protect the river Ruhr crossing, the French was built Bridgehead in 1808.
Jülich Fortress with its extensive external structures was also intended as the base for the field army, therefore the protection of the crossing was of strategic importance. The Bridgehead is designed as an Outwork and is about 800 meters wide, about 300 meters deep and about ten meters high.
The only practical test of the bridgehead was during the siege of Julich in 1814, but hostilities were conducted only sporadically, and the bridgehead remained undefeated. The allies limited themselves to blockading the fortress to keep the team there and built their own bridge across the river to the south. The bridgehead was simply bypassed, and the troops in the fortress were too weak to risk a military sortie.
|Tourist Audience||Cultural heritage tourism|
|German original name||Brückenkopf Jülich|
|Front width||800 meters|
|Audio||Speech about Bridgehead|
|Video||YouTube about Brückenkopf-Park|
|Google Map||Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress|
|Directions to||Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress|
|Waze Map||Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress|
|OpenStreetMap||Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress|
|Knowledge Panel||Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress|
Nearby Jülich Fortress
Prev: Witches Gate. Next: Citadel
Dataset to Bridgehead
Tabular dataset and ATOM feed to Bridgehead of Jülich Fortress, by EuroTourData.
ETD ID: brdh-jul.
Tags: tourist attraction, Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia, fortification, bridgehead.
Creator: Nikolaj Antonov
Publisher: NikAnt Webkonsult AB